Monday, January 18, 2010
That "cigarette" in my mouth is a pen. A PEN, people! I do not advocate smoking. I just thought the image of smoking while baking muffins was funny.
I must have been in the vegan cooking mood yesterday, because I decided to make some muffins as well. The muffins are made entirely of twigs and dead leaves. Actually, not really. They are called JUNGLE MONKEY MUFFINS and they are quick, easy, and delicious. Even my non-vegan mother liked them!
Jungle Monkey Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 medium bananas, peeled and cut into 2-in. pieces
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
3 TB. olive oil or safflower oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup raw cashews, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup vegan chocolate or carob chips
1/4 cup plus 3 TB. unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil 8 muffin cups.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
3. Place bananas in a small bowl, and mash them with a fork until smooth. Stir in water, agave nectar, olive oil, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and stir until just blended. Stir in cashews, chocolate chips, and 1/4 cup shredded coconut.
5. Fill prepared muffin cups 1/4 full, sprinkle tops with remaining 3 tablespoons shredded coconut, and press it in gently with your fingers (which is considerably less sexy than it sounds). Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Variation: You can replace the cashews, chocolate chips, and coconut with an equal amount of fresh or frozen berries, chopped fruit, or other nuts or seeds. Easily adapt this muffin recipe to prepare a banana bread by pouring the batter into an oiled 8x4x2 1/2-inch loaf pan and baking for 30-35 minutes.
(I left out the chocolate chips and coconuts and added frozen berries instead. Also, it says it makes 8 muffins, but I easily made 12. I suppose it depends on the size of your muffin cups... Yes, that also sounded unintentionally sexy...)