Thursday, January 21, 2010

stir pea fry soup

I am sad today, which begs the question, "Then why are you writing a post and not crying in a dark corner, curled up in the fetal position?" And the answer is, "I have obsessive compulsive tendencies and am craving a feeling of accomplishment, so cooking and blogging about it satisfy both of those things as well as my stomach. Besides, I never cry in the fetal position."

Today I made an easy and fast stir fry. Put a little olive oil in a frying pan and add 8 ounces of tempeh. Stir fry it for a few minutes until slightly brown, then add vegetables and sauce of your choice. I chose to use yellow and green bell peppers and teriyaki pineapple sauce. I had an onion I considered using, but I was too lazy. All in all, it's a fairly tasty and quick meal. Here is the poor quality photo:

Tonight I made pea soup. I had no time to make this, but I did anyway because I'm a fucking rebel. And also depressed. And cooking (and--duh--eating) cheers me up a tad. So anyway, the pea soup was simple and good enough. I broke a bowl while making the soup and started bawling. Just one of those days, you know? You do know. We all know. We are all secretly or not secretly depressed. Suffering, man. The nature of existence or whatever.

Pea soup with garlic

2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
8 cups frozen peas
5 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp soy margarine
salt and ground black pepper

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the garlic. Fry gently for about 2-3 minutes, until softened, then add the peas. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, then pour in the stock.

2. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the peas are tender. Leave to cool slightly, then transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth (you may have to do this in two batches).

3. Return the soup to the pan and heat through gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the soy margarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment